Friday, January 27, 2006

Hooray for the Frivolous Weird

I like odd people. Most of the interesting people I know are dancing, strutting, stumbling, and occastionally, marching to the beat of their very own (often polyrhythmic) drummers.

It's important for me to distinguish the Frivolous Weird from the Obsessed Weird. I find the people who do Society for Creative Anachronism fascinating, in theory. I many have only met a couple. I don't remember. But they're often DEEP into it. Same for some Star Trek or Star Wars fans. Or Civil War re-enactors. (Think about that Venn diagram.) To the point that there's no room for humor or even good-natured mockery. It's what some folk have instead of lives.

This is for all the lonely people.

We like to be accepted, and are often even willing to be inauthentic to get people to like or at least notice us. My cousin who joined the radical Christian church because they seemed to care about him. Many of the people I've worked with in various theatre companies over the years are odd in their own special ways. But we find each other and life gets better.

Let's here it for the odd dilettante. I know that the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. But not in my eccentric orbit.

I say, get up, get out, and go have a face-to-face, authentic (true to yourself) non-commercial human interaction. It's good for you. And good for everybody else, too.

True justice is easier when you realise that it's just us. It's hard to really make somebody a "them" when you know their story.

No comments: