Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vanity Plate Musings

We were having lunch in Williamsburg, VA not long ago and I saw two interesting license plates. Even took time to photograph one and post it to Facebook, figuring that people might enjoy seeing a plate that warned "IM PMSN."

The other plate was gone by the time we had finished our lunch, so I didn't get to capture it as I had hoped. Its defiant "NO TAX" got me to thinking, as I ate, about what that implied. Perhaps the driver was one of the modern teabaggers who have been rallying to the Fox News cry for grassroots action. Maybe there were other motivations. Nevertheless, as I pondered the sort of people I have seen railing against taxes, I detect a strain of disinginuity in their cries.

It appears that the NO TAX teabaggers also tend to be those who want a kick-ass military, equipped with all the tools necessary to go out and obliterate anyone we see fit. The only alternative funding strategy that comes immediately to mind is pillage, which, it seems, is what Cheney had in mind all along.

The tax averse also seem to be the ones who drive the largest vehicles. Maybe this is so that when the roads and bridges finish disintegrating from deferred maintenance they'll be able to keep on going. This works for the Hummers and maybe the F150s, but I doubt the Crown Victorias will be following them into the breach.

Another casualty in a taxless world is the police force. Perhaps this is why so many God-fearing, Fox-News-watching, Rush-Limbaugh-following dittoheads are armed to the teeth, so that when they get the opportunity to do their own law enforcement.

The scenario is positively Mad Maxian.

Paying taxes is the price of admission to civilization. Deal with it.

No comments: