Saturday, February 11, 2006

I'm Not Sure We're the Good Guys Anymore

Maybe it's because I recently watched Schindler's List and have been thinking of directing The Diary of Anne Frank, but I'm finding it way too easy to see parallels between those times and our times.

What about the soldiers who didn't speak up and say, "This is not OK. I can't do what you're telling me we have to do to these people." What about the contractors who deliver shoddy goods (or nothing at all) because all that matters is making sure the right people get taken care of properly.

It's not that the other folk are any better, but it's fairly disingenuous to declare, as is so often done, that the gang in charge are wearing white hats, and civil liberties must be sacrificed in the name of Freedom and the bad guys hate us because of our Freedom and illegal actions are justified in the name of Freedom.

The whole business reeks, and it's not just because I'm not on the receiving end of the Wealth Transfer Program that drives the Republican Party.

No comments: